Our eyes are constantly subjected to screens, bright lights, and hours of close-up work, which can lead to eye strain, fatigue and even long-term vision problems. Enter eye yoga, a holistic approach to maintaining healthy eyes through a series of simple exercises and relaxation techniques. Here are some top eye yoga tips from Retropeepers that can help protect and improve your vision while promoting overall eye health.The Palming Technique
Palming is one of the most effective and soothing eye yoga exercises. To do this:
- Rub your palms together vigorously to generate heat
- Cup your palms over your closed eyes without putting pressure on them
- Relax and take a few deep breaths while visualising blackness
- Hold this position for 30 seconds to a minute
- Repeat this exercise as needed throughout the day, especially after long periods of screen time.
In the digital age, we tend to blink less frequently, which can cause dry eyes and eye strain. Blinking exercises can help:
- Blink rapidly for 10-15 seconds to moisten your eyes
- Set a timer to remind you to do this a few times a day
- Close your eyes tightly for a few seconds, then open them
- These exercises help distribute tear film and reduce eye dryness.
To enhance flexibility and reduce eye strain, practice focus-shifting exercises:
- Hold your thumb in front of your face at arm's length
- Focus on your thumb for a few seconds, then shift focus to an object in the distance
- Alternate focus between the thumb and the distant object for a minute or two
- Repeat this exercise several times a day to improve eye muscle flexibility.
This rule is an excellent way to reduce eye strain during prolonged screen time:
- Every 20 minutes, take a 20-second break
- During that break, look at something at least 20 feet away
- This helps relax your eye muscles and reduce eye strain.
To enhance eye mobility and coordination:
- Imagine a giant figure-eight in front of you.
- Trace the figure-eight with your eyes, focusing on the centre and following its outline.
- Do this exercise for a minute in each direction.
- This can help improve eye coordination and focus.
To strengthen your eye muscles:
- Sit or stand comfortably
- Look up, and down, then slowly shift your gaze from side to side
- Repeat this exercise 10 times in each direction
- This helps improve eye muscle strength and flexibility.
Natural light is essential for eye health. Sunning can help:
- Close your eyes and face the sun with your eyes closed
- Move your head from side to side to allow the sunlight to enter your closed eyelids
- Do this for a few minutes in the morning or evening
- Sunning provides natural light therapy and can improve overall eye health.
Incorporating these eye yoga tips into your daily routine can significantly benefit your eye health and vision. Remember that consistency is key, so make these exercises a regular part of your day. Additionally, maintaining a balanced diet rich in eye-friendly nutrients, staying hydrated, and getting regular eye check-ups are essential components of comprehensive eye care. By taking proactive steps to care for your eyes, you can enjoy better vision and reduce the risk of eye-related issues as you age.
Image Credit: BWP